Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Police Sirens, Interpol, and Intestinal Problems (July 20, 2016)





Week 1

HOLA TODOS. This has been the week that felt like a year. No joke. I don't know how else to sum it up. We arrived in Lima at 12:30 a.m. on the 13th and didn’t get to the CCM until about 3:00. Woot. We had a few days where we were trying to just get things figured out. Down here in Peru there isn’t any English so it's difficult sometimes. Good thing I took 3 years of Spanish class right?? LOL. We do the same thing everyday and it’s very routine. I’m not going to write it about because that’s really boring.


Here at the CCM, nosotros hablamos solamente espanol, (We only speak Spanish) most of us speak absolutely no Spanish, others are very advanced, so we who are advanced help the less experienced by only speaking Spanish. The only time we all speak English is at before bed, on Sunday, and on P-Day. IT’S GREAT.

Every day we eat chicken and rice for every meal. Except in the mornings, we eat eggs and weird cereal then. My intestinal system has felt a shock if you know what I mean. lol whoops.

I have a great companion and great roommates, Elder Bever is my companion, and there are 6 more of us that are going to Cusco. Elders; Austin, Hatfield, Walker, Coil, Rueckert, and Fawcitt. All of them are great guys and I am so blessed to have them as roomates and friends. I’m here with two friends from Herriman, Elder Tillman, and Elder Fife. I love them so much.



We play futbol literally every single day. The latinos get so into it, it's hilarious. The other day we had a gringo vs. latinos game and it was probably the funniest thing ever. The gringos won with a score of 8 to 5. I’m an athlete and scored 2 of those goals.

In Lima there are three things, well four that you can be absolutely sure of. Chicken, rice, police sirens, and constipation. At night the sirens are just. wow. sometimes we'll hear gunshots. so that’s cool. Sorry mom, but not really, because missionaries are seriously protected so don't worry. But I really do love it here:). Monday night while we were sitting in our classroom we felt a very small earthquake and people started freaking out and I laughed because I was in an 8.4 earthquake. It was LIT. We got to get out of the CCM a little bit yesterday and.... GO TO INTERPOL yay. Lima traffic is the scariest thing I have ever experienced. There are no rules on the road here. It's insane. But super fun:)

As a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints there is never a time that I don't feel the spirit. We spend the majority of our time practicing Spanish and studying the Book of Mormon. This week I was reading in 2nd Nephi 31. I can’t quote it exactly because I don’t have my scriptures with me. But the message inside is profound and real and is something we ought to keep with us at all times. The doctrines of Jesus Christ are simple. They are so plain.

"For my soul delighteth in plainness."

Follow the Savior, Repent, Be baptized, Receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, Live as Christ would live, and last but certainly not least, Endure to the end. If there is anything that I've learned here this first week, it's that the best thing we can is that last thing, Endure to the end. Endure to the end of whatever it is you’re enduring. Endure to the end of your week. Endure to the end of a very frustrating Spanish meeting because you can't understand it. Endure until you can’t endure anymore, and with your faith the Savior will come and he will pick you up, dust you off, and tell you "There is work to do. You can do it." I know this is true. If any of you think you can't go anymore. Just remember this. And even if you turn your back on Him, Jesus Christ is still waiting with open arms for you.

It's crazy to be here and be a missionary. I wouldn't trade it though. I love it so much!! Love you all!! See you soon.

Proverbs 10:12



No comments:

Post a Comment