Monday, February 27, 2017

Carnival

Week 33 (February 27, 2017)

Pierina got baptized!!

Yes, that is a guinea pig! (cuy chactado)

Hey, ya'll hows it goin? This week was pretty exciting.  I'll do my best to tell you a bit about it.

It started off with divisions with our district leaders.  I went with Elder Castaneda from Ecuador.  He is an awesome guy.  He is going home in May so he has a lot of time compared to me, but he is one of my best mission friends.  It was good to work with him a little bit.

We went and taught some of our old investigators that we had to pass on to Elder Castaneda.  I've mentioned them before I think, Grizelda and Jorge.  They are really trying to find a way to be able to attend our ward in Santiago.  Anyways we were there talking about Jorge's baptism and how they got permission to have their baptism done in my church then Jorge turns to me and asks me if I would baptize him....... what the heck, Elder Castaneda was a little bummed. 


Then after I went on divisions with Castaneda, I got to go with Elder Skousen.  Elder Skousen is from draper.  He just so happens to live in my cousin's ward.  Small world.  But we contacted a few people, had really trunky talks and had a lesson.  Well, kind of.  Every single day it rains.  It's horrible but E' Skousen and I were in this lesson and it started to rain.  Little by little, the storm got heavier and heavier.  Within minutes, hail started coming down.  The house we were in had a tin roof so the noise was incredible. Then the hail only got louder and louder and louder.  To the point where we were yelling and we still couldn't hear even ourselves. Peru is cool guys.

This one'll freak mom out, lol. 

We decided one evening to take the bus and drive up to "Alto Cusco".  The part of the city that sits on the hills.  And all the people who live there are all so poor.  We went to visit an old investigator named Moises.  His house is a mud/adobe house.  There is no drywall, paint or furniture.  Just a small room for a kitchen, a bedroom, a big open space in the middle, and chickens running around everywhere.  It was the most humble house I've ever been in.  What was even more humbling was the kindness that Moises had for us.  The first thing he did was make sure we had somewhere to sit down then he fixed us a meal of chicken, rice, and potatoes.  He wasn't at all worried about who we were,  he treated us better than I've ever been treated ever.  

That's where the chickens come in....  Moises dished up our food and we closed our eyes to say the prayer.  About halfway into the prayer, I felt something staring into my soul.  I opened my eyes and slowly looked up. Only to find the biggest rooster I've ever seen staring into my eyes.  After about 5 seconds of eye contact, the flipping rooster started chowing down on my food.   "Oh flip, what do I do."  I sat helplessly and watched this bird with razor sharp claws go ham on my precious meal.  And it only gets worse.... Moises shooed the dang bird away and we all just laughed about it.  But apparently its normal for that to happen.  I expected Moises to take my plate or something but he didn't.  He instead just said "sirvense". (serve yourselves, or, eat)  So, yes, I ate it all.  No, I'm not dead but I'm expecting illness soon.  

Today was Carnaval.  A big water fight.  Everyone was carrying around squirt guns, foam spray cans, and water balloons.  I have never been so terrified in my life to go outside.  These people soaked everything that moved.  We were just giant targets in white shirts.  We were literally chased by a group of young girls armed with buckets of water.  It was horrifying.  I have bruises from water balloons.  


Peru is sweet man.

Anyways, I love you all so much, I'm doing great.  Have an awesome week.

Elder Haws





No comments:

Post a Comment