Monday, September 26, 2016

Week 10 (September 19, 2016)

Howdy ya'll!! It's me again just telling you about my life here in Peru. 
How's everyone doing?? I hope so well. 
I don't have a ton to write this week, so sorry hahaha.

Spanish is painfully slow. ha. its ok. One day I'll be good at it! I'm doing a lot better! My body is adjusting. Honestly Chuño is so flipping nasty. wow. and we've had chicken feet. That's fun. We have maté all the time. It's only good when loaded with sugar lol. every thing is so cheap haha. and we get to have salchipapas which by the way are legendary. lol. and alfajores wowowowow.

Chuño is an ancient Quechua food made of fermented potatoes
Maté is an herb drink that tastes a lot like grass clippings and dirt

We walked a lot this week. My legs are starting to really feel it. My comp spent all of his money so we can't actually take any buses. 

If there's anything I'm learning here it's patience. There's so much that happens everyday. And so many things that make you want to say something you shouldn't or sit down and just wait until you can go to bed that night. But I've noticed that right as things start to get to the point of just pointless, something will happen that can get you through the day or the week. 

On Tuesday we had been contacting people all day long. I was sick of not being able to say anything. It's a very frustrating thing to be somewhere and not being able to talk very much. But we had been very unsuccessful. All of our appointments had fallen through and I was sick and tired of that day. I WAS DONE. But, we decided to contact one more person. Only one then we could go eat dinner and go home. So stopped a girl on the street and started to talk to her. We told her who we were and what we were doing and that we wanted to share a message with her that would change her life forever. She was SUPER interested. and she very excitedly made an appointment with us for Thursday. Right before she walked away, she asked us this, "I've been having a really hard time with my purpose here. Why are we here?"  HA GOLDEN. 

So as you can imagine we taught her the plan of salvation, and about Jesus Christ and His atonement. It was incredible. I know she felt the spirit there that I felt. It was an awesome experience. Because that's what a mission is all about. Not about anything else. It's about bringing people to see the light of the gospel. 

anyways yeah the days are long and weeks are short. I'm starting to get used to it. 

I love studying the scriptures. Its so cool. This week I was reading in Helaman 10. If you haven't read it, the prophet Nephi (not THE Nephi) had been preaching to the Nephites because they were wicked and they had accused him of treason and tried him for all sorts of stuff. anyways. He proved he wasn't guilty, prophesied a bunch of stuff and went home. On his way home he received a great flipping revelation. and went back to preach. I really recommend you read it. There's a principle I learned in there that I feel like we can all benefit from. 

ACT, PONDER, RECIEVE. 

Before we see or get anything we have to act. We have to put our trust in God that He will provide for us. Then you have to think about what you acted on. Whether the outcome was good, or bad. Then we can receive the greater blessings that lay in store. 

Always remember to act. and then to ponder. And I promise you will receive greater things than you can imagine.

Love you all. You're cool. Stay fresh and American. 

No comments:

Post a Comment